The pandemic has changed the habits and plans of each of us. And among these changes, one of the sectors that has suffered the most from this “new reality” is the world of tourism, travel and holidays. But it appears that the pandemic is moving into a new, more manageable phase.
Booking.com conducted a survey of the 2022 travel forecast of a sample of adults who plan to travel for work or leisure in the next 12-24 months.
Club Esse, taking into consideration the data of this research on Italian forecasts, shares some internal data that confirm an increasingly growing trend.
Holidays and travel: hopes for 2022
It would seem that 2022 could mark a clear change of direction as regards the world of travel and leisure compared to the last 2 years. From the survey conducted by Booking.com it would seem that 59% of people would like to broaden their horizons and meet new friends on vacation.
The pandemic has changed priorities and perspectives, making us give more importance to experiences and people
The pandemic has changed priorities and perspectives, making us give more importance to experiences and people central to the life of human beings. This has significantly increased the importance of individual freedoms.
It therefore emerges that when we get back to travel and to go on vacation, more than half of the sample says they are ready not only to do it with their family and close friends, but they will also try to make new friends.
In the Club Esse resorts this has always been one of the main aim of summers in Sardinia, Calabria and Abruzzo.
And why not indulge in new romantic encounters? In fact, 43% of respondents hope to find love on their next vacation.
2022 holidays are the most eagerly awaited
Travel has also become fundamental
An interesting fact is that 73% of the sample thinks that the journey will be as exciting as reaching the destination itself, where the guest will finally be able to enjoy his well-deserved holidays (probably without, or with few, restrictions and with greater serenity).
The pandemic and the many lockdowns have made the journey and the time with which we face it as enjoyable as the destination itself
The pandemic and the many lockdowns have made the journey and the time with which we face it as enjoyable as the destination itself, a moment that must be “enjoyed” slowly.
- 57% will want to discover new transport
- 74% would simply like to feel the warmth of the sun on their skin again (on our beaches it will also warm your heart)
- 25% of travelers will enjoy the landscape (and at Club Esse resorts have truly enchanting ones)
- 23% of respondents think that the journey itself will be exciting
Forget about taking work on vacation
If you’ve done this in the past, 2022 will be a turning point. Smart working and constantly changing workspaces have invaded our personal lives.
For these reasons, 77% of those who will go back travelling will no longer want to hear about work on vacation. The balance between private life and work has undergone a decisive reshaping, and 2022 will be the year in which we will recalibrate priorities, pleasures and duties.
Traveling to feel good
For 84% of the sample, travel is the best therapy for mental well-being, even more decisive than other types of practices for rest and relaxation.
Therefore 2022 will be the year of the turning point for travel as an experience, where the guest, the tourist, the traveler will be completely immersed in new flavors, new traditions and new cultures. Whether you are traveling with family, friends or alone.
And why you’ll go on holiday?
According to the Booking.com survey:
- Il 58% will want to immerse themselves in new cultures, new flavors and new scents
- Il 36% hope to have get back some time lost during the pandemic to enjoy a little bit of family and friends over the holidays
- Il 56% want to use their upcoming holidays and trips as a clean break from the routine of these last 2 years of the pandemic
- Il 43% of singles hope instead to find love in the next vacation. And those who have already been on holiday by the beach resorts of the hotel chain, know that often, a love was born between a walk or a romantic dinner by the sea
On vacation to reconnect with people
57% of travelers agree that immersing themselves in and experiencing the local communities, people and traditions of the places they visit is fundamental and brings benefits.
Due to the restrictions we have lived with more participation in the local community near our homes
Due to the restrictions we have lived with more participation in the local community near our homes. And this type of authentic relationship with the small communities of our holiday destinations is seen as an additional positive experience to be valued.
As many as 20% of travelers will look to do more detailed research on how their spending can affect local communities.
The “Yes” to a vacation after a long wait
The pandemic and lockdowns have held back the travel plans of many of us. For this reason, 61% of travelers feel more inclined and open to many types of holidays and ways of traveling.
Travel, fun and socializing have taken a hit, and 2022 will be a special year that will mark the turning point for many. The percentage of people who want to spend some time they spent traveling has increased from 51% to 69%.
And therefore 2022 will be the year of recovery and of saying “Yes”, yes to any type of holiday.
And therefore 2022 will be the year of recovery and of saying “Yes”, yes to any type of holiday. It is estimated that around 73% of travelers will simply say “Yes!”, Obviously taking into account their own budget.
The technology to counteract the unpredictability of travel
The pandemic has scattered all the cards, weakened all the certainties we had acquired. For this reason, 61% of respondents think that technology will help address the insecurities and unpredictability resulting from the pandemic and restrictions.
69% would be very interested in applications and technologies that can predict even a few months in advance where you can safely travel without running into unpleasant inconveniences.
Data on Club Esse holidays
To confirm this trend of growth and push towards a return to a new normality of tourism and the world of travel and holidays, are the data from the beginning of 2022 available to Club Esse.
Analyzing some figures relating to visits to the hotel chain’s website, there is a good trend in some metrics:
- There is a +94% of active users on the website, who therefore actively evaluate (or book) the possibility of going on holidays in Sardinia, Calabria and Abruzzo, regardless of the situation
- The increasingly strong relationship of users with technology is also confirmed: in fact there is a +7% online conversion, and therefore of users who use e-commerce to book a holiday
- There is a +113% of active sessions on the website, which is symptomatic of the period being analyzed, due to the approach of summer, but it is still a figure that should make us reflect on the fact that people, after two years pandemic, restrictions and lockdowns, has a mad desire to go back to life, travel and enjoy the pleasure of a summer of freedom
people, after two years pandemic, restrictions and lockdowns, has a mad desire to go back to life, travel and enjoy the pleasure of a summer of freedom.
Source: Travel forecasts for 2022, Booking.com
For bookings and information: